Mr. Winthrop Sands, of New York, son of Mrs. W. K. Vanderbilt, was
killed in an automobile accident yesterday morning on the road between
Triel and Poissy.
His chauffeur, Robert Picken, a Scotchman, escaped with a few bruises.
Reports were current in Paris during the day that Mr. W. K. Vanderbilt
had been seriously injured, but an investigation showed that he was not
in the automobile at all. In fact, he was in Deauville at the time of
the accident.
According to information obtained by a Herald correspondent at Poissy
and at St. Louis de Poissy, where Mr. Vanderbilt residence and racing
stables are located, Mr. Sands met his death in the following manner:
Mr. Sands and his chauffeur were returning from Deauville, whither they
had gone on Tuesday. Their automobile was a 30 horsepower De Dietrich of
semi racing type with two seats. It was capable of attaining a high rate
of speed, and some of the people in the neighborhood where the
catastrophe occurred assert that it was traveling at 100 kilometers an
Time established.
Just as the two men were leaving Deauville in the morning, Picken
observed that it was five minutes to five o'clock. A few seconds
previous to the accident, Mr. Sands asked him what time it was, and he
replied: "7:15". Thus it would appear that the trip from Deauville to
Poissy, a distance of something less than 2 hundred kilometers had been
accomplished in two hours and twenty minutes.
All at once the right front wheel yielded, the automobile swerved with a
lurch and struck the curb and in an instant the front of the automobile
smashed against a tree.
The impact was such that the automobile was whirled and turned over in
the air-some persons even say it turned twice in the air-and then
crashed against another tree ten meters further on
A small boy who had viewed the accident from a short distance declared
to the Herald correspondent that the automobile in its prodigious bound
into the air went as high as the tops of the trees.

Terrible Accident

The automobile, or rather the fragments thereof, seemed to envelope the
tree trunk like a mass of iron and wood. Mr. Sands was pinned beneath a
heavy part of the framework and his chauffeur was also caught in the
tangle, but the latter, by the aid of some peasants, was soon able to
extricate himself and go to the relief of Mr. Sands.
It was at once observed that Mr. Sands right leg had been literally torn
from his body high above the knee. To add to the frightful nature of the
injury, the debris of the automobile caught fire from the "Essence", and
Mr. Sands was terribly burned. The spectators, moreover, were at First
afraid to come near, as they feared an explosion, the result being that
Mr. Sands remained several minutes in the same position, unable to move.
Two vehicles were secured, and Mr. Sands was removed to the Vanderbilt
residence and the chauffeur to the hospital in Poissy. The fortitude
displayed by Mr. Sands was remarkable. He retained consciousness and
even gave orders in a firm voice that his chauffeur should be attended
to as quickly as possible. On arriving at Mr. Vanderbilt's house he
talked freely to Mr. Duke, the trainer, and again inquired about the
chauffeur's condition.
Effective Aid impossible
A dispatch was sent at once to Dr. Gautier., who accompanied by two
assistants, left Paris for Poissy as quickly as possible. It was evident
however that no surgical aid could arrive in time to be of any use. Mr.
Sands remained conscious until a few minutes before his death which
occurred at a quarter past nine o'clock. He slowly succumbed to the loss
of blood.
Mr. and Mrs. Vanderbilt and Mr. Sands brother, Stephen, who were in
Deauville, who started for Paris on receipt of the news by telegraph,
but they did not arrive until after Mr. Sands death.
Mrs. Sands was at the Vanderbilt House, awaiting her husband's return.
She and Mr. Sands were married a little more than three years ago. Two
children were born, the eldest, a daughter, now being two years old,
while the youngest, a boy, was born in Paris on June 13 of this year.
Mrs. Sands was a Miss Newton of New Haven, Connecticut.
Robert Picken, the chauffeur, while lying in bed at the hospital,
explained to the Herald correspondent his version of the accident,
saying: "We were traveling at 85 to 90 kilometers an hour and, as far as
I was able to observe and can recollect, the envelope of the right front
tire suddenly came off. We were immediately hurled on to the curb and
against a tree, and then against another. I tried to save Mr. Sands life
by endeavoring to stop the flow of blood but of course all was in vain.
Mr. Sands was a good and careful driver, so that the accident cannot be
attributed to any fault on his part. It was the tire, or the wheel,
giving way that caused the catastrophe."
Did not know of death.
Picken did not know at that time that Mr. Sands was dead and he
continued to inquire about his employer's condition.
The fragments of the automobile, as they lay, broken, twisted and
burned, at the rear of one of the stables, presented a curious and sorry
sight. It did not seem possible that, in the thousands of similar
accidents on record, an automobile had ever been so shattered as was
this one.
Mr. Sands was 23 years old. He devoted a certain amount of his time to
recreation, but was financially interested in various enterprises. He
was fond of automobiling and was associated in an automobile business
enterprise with Monsieur Maurice Raoul-Duval , with an office in the rue
Francois premier, representing the de Dietrich mark.
Mr. Duke speaking of the qualities of Mr. Sands, said "He was a very
intelligent and agreeable young man, with a joke or a pleasant word for
all. His courage in the face of death was astounding. He talked to me
firmly and rationally for several minutes while his life was rapidly
growing out."
His Funeral was several days later.

His widow, Tayo Newton Sands 1887-1914

His mother, Anne Vanderbilt 1861-1940

His son, George Winthrop Sands 1908-1986

Return to chart